join the conversation

join the conversation

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Elgin Gains Experience Interning with AU's Department of Student Life



Public Relations and Strategic Communication major, Stephany Elgin, interned this summer with Ashland University's Department of Student Life as an Orientation and Commuter Services Intern.

Stephany's duties included assisting the director of Orientation with planning and implementing orientation programs, leading the Orientation Team as an executive member during programs, developing Orientation Team training materials, and preparing materials and presentations for incoming students and their family members, as well as working with special populations such as commuters, out of state students, and transfer students to feel more acclimated to campus. She also helped out with the day-to-day office tasks in the department.

"One class that has particularly helped me in this position would be organizational communication," says Stephany. "The course taught me how to develop and implement a training program, which was extremely beneficial when producing and designing a training program and materials for the Orientation Team members."

Public speaking was a large part of her experience.

"The skills I developed from many of my communication courses have helped me to become a better public speaker. I had been asked to give speeches or speak to crowds with very little notice on a number of occasions. Being able to organize my thoughts and present information in a logical manner has prepared me for this challenge."

Stephany added, "Working for the Student Life Office and the Department of Orientation has showed me just how much work goes into student life at AU. I am proud to be a part of a department that touches the lives of every new student on Ashland's campus!"